This sign along State Route 282 outside of Ephrata reads,
History of the Rocky Ford Area
Chief Moses and many Indians from miles around came to gather food, trade and race horses each summer at the great encampment 3/4 mile east of here on Rocky Ford Creek. During the Nez Perce war of 1877, Chief Joseph sent runners to Chief Moses camp asking for help. The military wagon rd. from Ft. Walla Walla to Camp Chelan passed near by. Upper ranch of Lord Blythe, early day cattleman was on creek at site of the Indian camp. Thousands of cattle grazed here in the 1800's. Formerly the worlds largest private fish hatchery was located 4 Mi. No. of here. Area settled in the early 1900's.
Grant County Historical Society